Setup Instructions for
Apple Macintosh Operating System
Configuring the Modem as an Active Port
|The first steps are to make sure the Modem
is active and recognized by the operating system in the
Network Preferences. Most examples and images in this
document refer to the typical standard 56K Apple built-in
modem. If you are not using the built-in Apple modem some
dialog windows will appear slightly different.
- Click on the Apple menu icon
select Location and then select Network
- Next to the Show: field select Internal
modem from the drop down menu.
If Internal modem is not viewable in
the Show: field drop down menu do the following:
- Select Active Ports from the Show:
drop down menu.
- Check the box next to Internal Modem.
- Click the Apply Now button.
- In the Show: field select Internal modem.
- Click on the Apply Now button if you have make
- Click on the Modem tab and select the type of
modem you are using. For most setups this will be the
Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90)
- Check the Show modem status in menu bar box. A
little phone will appear on the top right of the Apple
- Click the Apply Now button to save your
- Close the Network window
|Using the Internet
Connect Wizard to create a MaGlobe Dialup Profile
- Double-click the Macintosh hard drive icon
- Double-click the Applications folder
- Double-click the Internet Connect icon
to begin the dial-up configuration process.
- In the Internal Modem window verify that
the correct modem is selected in the Configuration
- Click on the Edit button.
- In the Network window verify that the
Show field is set to Internal Modem.
- Next to the Location field, select New
A new window appears that prompts you to name the
location. The default location is called untitled1
- Change the Location name to MaGlobe.
- Select the TCP/IP Tab..... Next to the
Configure field select Using PPP
- Click on the PPP tab.
- In the Service Provider field type: MaGlobe
- In the Telephone Number field enter the phone
number you would like to dial. Please see the MaGlobe
Access Locations List to find the appropriate number.
Click here to
download the MaGlobe Access Locations List.
- In the Account Name field enter your
username in the format "firstname.lastname@example.org" -
This will work for all USA / Canada locations. For other
locations, please refer to the MaGlobe Access Locations
- In the Password field enter your MaGlobe
If do not want to be prompted for your password every
time you connect, check the Save Password box.
- Click the Apply Now button and close the
- When you close the Network window, the
Internal Modem Window appears. Verify that the
correct telephone number is selected, your MaGlobe
Login ID is correct, and the password is correct.
- Click the Connect button to connect to the
Internet. If you are successful you should see "Connected"
in the Status area.
|A Typical Dial-up
|Opening an Internet Connection
- You should always manually connect to the Internet
before attempting to use Internet applications.
- Click on the Apple Menu icon
select Location, then select the appropriate
dial-up connection if it is not already checked.
- Click on the phone icon
the task bar and select Connect from the drop down
- Wait until you hear the modem dial and see a window
dialog indicating that you are connected.
- Launch your Internet applications (Internet Explorer,
Netscape, Eudora, etc.).
|Closing an Internet Connection
- Close your Internet applications (Netscape, Internet
Explorer, Eudora, etc.).
- Click on the phone icon
and select Disconnect from the drop down menu.